Sandy Springs, Georgia is a bustling community located in the northern suburbs of Atlanta. With its easy access to nearby shopping, dining, and other recreational activities, Sandy Springs has become a popular destination for many people.
But what is Sandy Springs, GA known for? From its vibrant art scene and historical landmarks, to its top-notch healthcare and educational opportunities, Sandy Springs has something for everyone.
From the outdoor enthusiasts to the shopaholics, Sandy Springs has a wealth of attractions to explore and activities to participate in.
Whether you’re looking for an outdoor escape or an exciting evening out on the town, Sandy Springs is the perfect place to call home. So, come explore all Sandy Springs has to offer and discover why it has become a beloved destination.
1. Sandy Springs was the first city in Georgia to have a charter-governed city government in over 100 years.
2. Sandy Spring is home to the corporate headquarters of UPS, Verizon Wireless, Northside Hospital, and St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.
3. Sandy Springs is one of the most affluent cities in the United States and is home to some of metro-Atlanta’s most expensive real estate, with a median home price close to $700,000.
4. The city is home to the largest interactive fountain in the Southeast, located in Concourse Corporate Center.
5. Sandy Springs is home to numerous high-tech companies such as IBM, Cisco, AT&T, Dell, Lexis Nexus, and The Home Depot.
6. The city is home to Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, which stretches from the south in Atlanta to the north in Roswell.
7. Sandy Springs is home to many cultural attractions, including the Smyrna Stone Mountain Historic District and the Fox Theater.
8. Sandy Springs is the largest City or Suburban Center in the United States, with a population of over 94,000 residents.
9. The City is home to half a dozen major shopping malls, including the North Point Mall, the Cobb Galleria, and the Perimeter Mall.
10. Sandy Springs is known as a Tech hub and was awarded the “Top 10 Best US Cities for tech startups in 2016” by the Silicon Valley Bank.
Read more about Georgia City
Sandy Springs is a city located in northern Fulton County, Georgia, United States, and part of the Atlanta metropolitan area. It consists of an unincorporated Fulton County part, plus seven incorporated former Fulton County cities that have been annexed.
The city is located on the Chattahoochee River to the northwest of Atlanta and was incorporated on December 1, 2005. The population of the city was 106,739 at the 2010 census, making it Georgia’s sixth-largest city.
Sandy Springs was once largely rural and heavily forested, but urban sprawl from Atlanta brought population growth. Sandy Springs was founded largely to prevent further unplanned development. Today, it is an affluent area with a diverse population and population density.
Modern history of Sandy Springs began with the 1845 founding of the Roswell Road Baptist Church, which was named after nearby Roswell, Georgia. The venue served as a “camp ground” for visitors from nearby areas and Northern Georgia. A post office and summer camp for churches were established in 1851.
By the time of the Civil War, the church had over 600 members. During the war, the church was briefly abandoned when Union troops passed through the area.
In 1979, Fulton County officials proposed unincorporated Sandy Springs as a possible site for a county government center, which was considered to reduce the congestion of downtown Atlanta. The proposal was also seen as a way to create revenue for the county. The idea was rejected by suburban residents, who feared increased taxes.
In the early 1980s, state legislators proposed legislation to create a city of Sandy Springs. Cityhood was approved by the state legislators in 1985 and was officially incorporated on December 1, 2005.
In 2006, the city held a special election to determine its form of government. In the election, residents approved a three-member city council, a mayor, and a city manager to manage the daily operations of the city. The following year, a five-member Sandy Springs Board of Education was established to oversee the public schools of the city.
Since cityhood, Sandy Springs has become one of Georgia’s most affluent and rapidly growing cities. It has experienced population growth of over 91% since 2000, making it the fastest growing city in the state.
The city is home to a vibrant business community, with major employers such as Delta Air Lines, UPS, First Data, and ForRent.com. Sandy Springs is an attractive destination for families due to its excellent public education system, and was recently recognized by CNN as one of the 2012 “Best Places to Live” in Georgia.
12 Sep, 2023
8 Sep, 2023
4 Sep, 2023
1 Sep, 2023
31 Aug, 2023
30 Aug, 2023
29 Aug, 2023
28 Aug, 2023
26 Aug, 2023
25 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
13 Aug, 2023
8 Aug, 2023
6 Aug, 2023
30 Jul, 2023
28 Jul, 2023
24 Jul, 2023
22 Jul, 2023
19 Jul, 2023