What is Pooler, GA known for | What is Pooler famous for26th May 2023
Pooler is a small city located in Chatham County, Georgia. It’s known for being home to the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport, giving it easy access to the nearby major cities of Savannah, GA and Hilton Head, SC. The city itself is known for its friendly people, a revitalized historic downtown district, plenty of outdoor activities, and its rich history.
From it’s stunning parks and gardens to its unique dining and shopping experiences, Pooler has something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly getaway, an outdoor adventure, or something unique and memorable, Pooler is sure to have something for you. So if you’re looking for a unique and exciting place to visit this summer, look no further than Pooler, Georgia!
Interesting & Unknown Facts About Pooler, GA
1. Pooler was established in 1904 and was primarily a farming community until the 1950s.
2. Pooler was named after Robert William Pooler, who served as Mayor of Savannah from 1846-1848, and owned hundreds of acres of farmland around what is now Pooler.
3. In 2003, Pooler was named “Best Place to Live” by the Southern Business and Development Magazine, noting the area’s quality of life and the strength of its real estate market.
4. The city of Pooler is the home of Savannah’s only IKEA store.
5. Pooler is home to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) Regional Crime Lab, which assists other law enforcement agencies and attorneys in resolving criminal cases in the area.
6. Pooler was home to the first ever Pizza Hut in the state of Georgia when the franchise opened in 1992.
7. Pooler is home to the Pooler Skatepark, the largest concrete skatepark in the south.
8. Pooler is home to the International Backgammon tournament that runs every June.
9. Pooler is home to two state parks- Savannah-Ogeechee Canal and South Effingham.
10. Pooler is the location of the world’s second-largest Toys R Us store, which opened in 2013.
Top 10 Best Things Pooler, GA is known For
- Tanger Outlets: One of the most popular shopping destinations in Pooler is the Tanger Outlets, where shoppers can find deals and discounts on a variety of brand-name merchandise.
- Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum: This museum is dedicated to the history of the Eighth Air Force, which played a significant role in the Allied victory during World War II. The museum features a variety of exhibits, artifacts, and interactive displays.
- Fun Zone Amusement and Sports Park: This entertainment center features go-karts, mini-golf, laser tag, bumper boats, batting cages, and more, making it a popular destination for families and groups.
- Surf Lagoon Waterpark: The Surf Lagoon Waterpark is a seasonal water park featuring a variety of water rides, slides, and pools, as well as a lazy river and a wave pool.
- Tom Triplett Community Park: This park features walking trails, playgrounds, picnic areas, and fishing ponds, making it a popular destination for outdoor recreation.
- Pooler Stadium Cinemas: This movie theater offers the latest films in a comfortable and modern setting, making it a popular destination for movie-goers.
- Oglethorpe Speedway Park: This speedway features a variety of auto racing events throughout the year, including stock car races, demolition derbies, and more.
- The Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport: Located in Pooler, this airport is a major transportation hub for the region, connecting travelers to destinations around the world.
- The Club at Savannah Quarters: This private golf and country club features a championship golf course, tennis courts, swimming pool, and dining options, making it a popular destination for golf enthusiasts.
- The Savannah National Wildlife Refuge: Located just a short drive from Pooler, the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge is a vast wilderness area featuring wetlands, forests, and wildlife, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
Things to do in Pooler, GA
Here are some things to do in Pooler, GA:
- Visit the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum: Learn about the history of the Eighth Air Force during World War II and see artifacts and interactive displays.
- Explore the Tanger Outlets: Shop for deals and discounts on a variety of brand-name merchandise.
- Cool off at Surf Lagoon Waterpark: Enjoy a variety of water rides, slides, and pools, as well as a lazy river and a wave pool.
- Play at Fun Zone Amusement and Sports Park: Enjoy go-karts, mini-golf, laser tag, bumper boats, batting cages, and more.
- Take a stroll at Tom Triplett Community Park: Walk on trails, play on playgrounds, have a picnic, and fish at the ponds.
- Watch a movie at Pooler Stadium Cinemas: Catch the latest films in a comfortable and modern setting.
- Attend an event at Oglethorpe Speedway Park: Watch stock car races, demolition derbies, and other auto racing events throughout the year.
- Play golf at The Club at Savannah Quarters: Enjoy a championship golf course, tennis courts, swimming pool, and dining options.
- Visit the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge: Explore vast wilderness areas featuring wetlands, forests, and wildlife, including alligators, deer, and migratory birds.
- Go shopping and dining at Pooler Parkway: Find a variety of stores, restaurants, and entertainment options.
Read more about Georgia City
History & Information of Pooler, GA
Pooler is a city in Chatham County, Georgia, United States. The population was 19,140 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Savannah Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Pooler was named after Robert William Pooler, who operated a railroad station in the area in the late 1800s. He moved to the region from Baltimore and purchased several hundred acres of land roughly five miles west of Savannah. He laid out an experimental model farm around his station, introducing innovative farming techniques that included planting a variety of crops and experimenting with irrigation. Pooler built a general store, post office, school, blacksmith shop, and other businesses, and was largely responsible for the area’s first real economic growth. After Pooler’s death in 1898, the village remained a small rural farming community until the construction of Interstate 95 in the mid-1990s.
The city incorporated in February 2002, in part due to the incorporation of the nearby city of Port Wentworth in 1989. Pooler is now home to the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport, which is located on the former bases of Hunter Army Airfield and Savannah Air National Guard Base. The city has experienced rapid growth since the airport opened in 2001 and is now home to numerous businesses and large industrial sites, including a new Amazon.com fulfillment center.
- What is McDonough, GA known for
- Unique Things About Macon-Bibb County, GA
- Interesting & Unknown Facts About Marietta, GA
Pooler is home to a variety of attractions and businesses, including historical sites, shopping centers, parks, golf courses, hotels, and restaurants. It is also home to the Tanger Outlets, a popular shopping center located in the Pooler Business Park, as well as a variety of restaurants and family-friendly entertainment. The city is also home to a number of festivals, including the Pooler Fourth of July Celebration, which includes live music, rides, and food vendors.
Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.