What is McDonough, GA known for | What is McDonough famous for24th May 2023
If you are looking for fun and exciting activities, then McDonough, Georgia is the place for you. Known as the “Gateway to the South”, McDonough is home to some of the most unique attractions around, and is a great place to explore the history and culture of the region.
From North America’s largest outdoor mural to unique shopping experiences and delicious Southern fare, McDonough has something for everyone. In this blog, we’ll take a look at some of the things that make McDonough famous, and why you should plan a visit to this fantastic town.
Interesting & Unknown Facts About McDonough, GA
1. McDonough, the county seat of Henry county, was founded in 1823 and incorporated in 1828.
2. The city was named after naval officer Commodore Thomas McDonough, a hero of the War of 1812.
3. The city is home to several historic sites, including the McDonough Historic Town Square and the McDonough Presbyterian Church, both of which were built in the early 1800s.
4. The city is one of the filming locations of the popular Netflix series, Stranger Things.
5. McDonough is home to the amazing Noah’s Ark animal shelter. Not only does Noah’s Ark provide homes for homeless, stray, and neglected animals, but it also runs one of the largest pet adoption programs in the country.
6. McDonough is known for its abundance of antique shopping opportunities. With over 40 antique stores, McDonough is sure to have something for everyone!
7. There are several beautiful parks located in McDonough, including a skate park and a BMX track.
8. The city is known for its Christmas lights displays, which stretch along the width of the city.
9. McDonough is home to The Georgia Film Academy, which offers training and instruction that prepares students for the many exciting opportunities in the film and television industry.
10. Every year, McDonough hosts the “Taste of Henry” celebration, where local restaurants and caterers set up booths and offer some of the best food in the county.
Read more about Georgia City
Top 10 Best Things McDonough, GA is known For
Here are 10 of the best things that McDonough, GA is known for:
- Historic town square: McDonough’s town square is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike. It features a variety of shops, restaurants, and events throughout the year, including the annual Geranium Festival.
- Location for filming: McDonough has been a popular filming location for movies and TV shows, including “The Walking Dead,” “The Vampire Diaries,” and “Stranger Things.”
- Parks and recreation: McDonough is home to several parks and recreational facilities, including Heritage Park Veterans Museum, Alexander Park, and Richard Craig Park.
- Southern hospitality: The city is known for its friendly residents and welcoming atmosphere, embodying the best of Southern hospitality.
- Henry County Courthouse: The historic Henry County Courthouse is a notable landmark in McDonough and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Outdoor activities: With its mild climate and natural beauty, McDonough offers many opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, and boating.
- Local events: McDonough hosts several annual events, such as the Geranium Festival, Fourth of July Parade, and Christmas Parade.
- Shopping: The city offers a variety of shopping experiences, from boutiques to chain stores, with something for every taste and budget.
- Family-friendly: McDonough is a great place to raise a family, with excellent schools, safe neighborhoods, and plenty of community events.
- Historical significance: McDonough has a rich history, dating back to the early 19th century, and has played an important role in the development of Georgia and the United States.
History & Information of McDonough, GA
McDonough is a city in Henry County, Georgia, United States. It is the county seat of Henry County, and is located south of Atlanta, Georgia, within the Atlanta metropolitan area. The city is named after naval officer Commodore Thomas Macdonough, who was noted for his role in the War of 1812.
The city was founded in 1823 and incorporated as a town in 1829, and as a city in 1884. Like many towns in the South, it was devastated during the Civil War; however, the city was rebuilt and reincorporated in 1871. The city is today largely a bedroom community, with many of its residents working in the metropolitan Atlantan area.
The town’s population was around 11,000 as of the 2010 census. It is part of the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Best Things Mableton, GA is Famous For
- Unique Things About Lawrenceville, GA
- Interesting & Unknown Facts About LaGrange, GA
Many major businesses or headquarters are located in the city, including Robins Air Force Base, TOTO USA, and Baxter International. McDonough is also home to a popular golf course, the Eagle’s Landing Country Club, and many historic sites, including a restored 19th-century mill and the Heritage Park and Veterans Wall of Honor.
The city is also home to several festivals, including the Red & Blue Festival in May, the Geranium Festival in April, and the Midnight in the Square Festival in October.
Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.