What is LaGrange, GA known for | What is LaGrange famous for21st May 2023
Welcome to LaGrange, GA – the heart of Georgia! Located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, this charming city is known for its historic downtown, a thriving local arts and entertainment scene, and its unique Southern hospitality.
LaGrange is famous for its Greenville Street Historic District, which stands as a testament to its early 19th-century architecture, and its diverse cultural and recreational offerings.
Whether you come for its great food or for its historic and cultural attractions, there’s something for everyone in LaGrange. In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at this charming Southern locale and explore what LaGrange is most famous for.
Interesting & Unknown Facts About LaGrange, GA
1. LaGrange was once called “Laguerno,” which means “a large field” in Spanish.
2. LaGrange is the home of the nation’s first controlled-access public swimming pool, which was built in 1927.
3. LaGrange was the first city in the United States to offer free public high-speed internet, thanks to a local electrical cooperatives.
4. LaGrange is home to the first high-quality baseball bat ever produced in the United States, created in 1884.
5. LaGrange is the birthplace of renowned author, Alice Walker, best known for her novel, “The Color Purple” (1982).
6. LaGrange was one of the first locations for the renowned Georgia Swarm of professional lacrosse.
7. LaGrange is home to Hills & Dales Estate, a 200-acre estate once owned by the family of former president, Franklin D. Roosevelt.
8. The first nationally televised primetime baseball game occurred in LaGrange in 1957.
9. LaGrange is home to the longest “peach basket” swing in the world, located in Sweetland Amphitheater.
10. LaGrange is one of only two cities in the state to feature a mountain biking park.
11. LaGrange is the starting point of The Chieftains Trail, an 85-mile-long historic trail that was used by Native Americans and follows the Chattahoochee River.
Top 10 Best Things LaGrange, GA is known For
- The Hills and Dales Estate: This is a historic home and garden located in LaGrange, GA, built in 1916. It features beautiful gardens, fountains, and a swimming pool, and it’s now open to the public.
- The LaGrange College: This is a private, liberal arts college that was founded in 1831. It’s known for its strong academic programs and its beautiful campus.
- Callaway Gardens: This is a 2,500-acre resort located just outside of LaGrange, GA. It features beautiful gardens, a butterfly conservatory, hiking trails, and a golf course.
- The Sweetland Amphitheatre: This is an outdoor concert venue located in the heart of downtown LaGrange, GA. It hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including concerts, festivals, and community events.
- Hills and Dales Park: This is a public park located in LaGrange, GA, that features walking trails, picnic areas, and a playground.
- The Explorations in Antiquity Center: This is an archaeological museum located in LaGrange, GA, that focuses on the history and culture of the ancient Near East.
- The Thread Trail: This is a 29-mile multi-use trail system that runs through LaGrange, GA, and connects several parks and attractions in the area.
- The Pine Mountain Trail: This is a 23-mile hiking trail that runs through the nearby Pine Mountain State Park. It offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Wild Leap Brew Co.: This is a local brewery located in downtown LaGrange, GA. It offers a variety of craft beers and hosts events and live music throughout the year.
- West Point Lake: This is a 26,000-acre reservoir located just outside of LaGrange, GA. It’s a popular spot for boating, fishing, and swimming.
Read more about Georgia City
- Top 10 Best Things Johns Creek, GA is Famous For
- Interesting Facts & Unique Things About Kennesaw, GA
LaGrange, GA things to do
LaGrange, GA offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors. Here are some things to do in LaGrange, GA:
- Visit the Hills and Dales Estate: This historic home and garden is a must-see attraction in LaGrange, GA. Take a guided tour of the home, explore the gardens, and relax by the pool.
- Explore Downtown LaGrange: Stroll down Main Street and discover the unique shops, restaurants, and galleries. Don’t miss the LaGrange Art Museum, which features rotating exhibits of contemporary art.
- Take a Hike: The Pine Mountain Trail and the Thread Trail offer miles of hiking trails with beautiful views of the surrounding countryside.
- Visit Callaway Gardens: Just a short drive from LaGrange, GA, Callaway Gardens offers a wide range of activities, including hiking, biking, fishing, and golf. Don’t miss the butterfly conservatory and the treetop adventure course.
- Enjoy a Concert at the Sweetland Amphitheatre: This outdoor venue hosts a variety of concerts and events throughout the year, including performances by national and local artists.
- Go Boating on West Point Lake: This 26,000-acre reservoir is a popular spot for boating, fishing, and swimming. Rent a boat or kayak and spend the day on the water.
- Learn about History at the Explorations in Antiquity Center: This museum features exhibits on the history and culture of the ancient Near East, including interactive displays and artifacts.
- Visit LaGrange College: Take a tour of this beautiful college campus, which features historic buildings and a peaceful atmosphere.
- Try Local Beer at Wild Leap Brew Co.: This local brewery offers a variety of craft beers and hosts events and live music throughout the year.
- Relax at Hills and Dales Park: This public park features walking trails, picnic areas, and a playground, making it the perfect spot for a relaxing day out.
History & Information of LaGrange, GA
LaGrange, Georgia is a city in Troup County along the Chattahoochee River and is located approximately 70 miles southwest of Atlanta. The city was founded by European American settlers in the 1820s and gained its named from French officer Marquis de La Fayette. During the early 19th century, the city became an important center of the cotton trade. The Georgia General Assembly authorized the city in 1828 and the city was later incorporated in 1829.
LaGrange quickly grew into a bustling city and eventually became known as one of the major cities in the region. The most significant development to happen in LaGrange was the construction of the Augusta and Louisville Railroad, which allowed for goods to be shipped in and out of the city. The railroad also helped to spur growth in the city, and in turn, brought more businesses to LaGrange.
LaGrange also embraced the industrial revolution and in the late 1800s, the city began to develop factories and manufacturing plants. The Great Depression, however, heavily affected the city, and forced the factories to close. After World War II, LaGrange began to make a comeback, and the city was eventually transformed into a commercial and industrial center.
Today, LaGrange serves as the county seat of Troup County and is home to approximately 30,000 people. The city continues to be a major industrial center, and various business, educational and cultural organizations have also made LaGrange their home.
Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.