What is Evans, GA known for | What is Evans famous for18th May 2023
Evans, Georgia, is a small town located just south of Augusta and is part of Columbia County. It is home to some of the best shopping, outdoor recreation, and historic landmarks in the region.
This town has a lot to offer, from a variety of festivals and museums, to some of the best golf courses in the area. Whether you’re looking for a place to relax or a place to adventure, Evans has something for everyone.
Known for its charm and friendly people, Evans has become a popular destination for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the big city. From golf courses to cultural attractions, Evans has something for everyone. Here are just a few of the things that Evans is famous for.
Located in Columbia County, Georgia, Evans is a charming town that has gained a reputation for its beautiful golf courses, outstanding schools, and high quality of life.
With a thriving cultural scene, a diverse selection of restaurants, and easy access to lakes and parks, Evans offers something for everyone. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at what Evans, GA is known for and why it’s such a popular destination for residents and visitors alike. Whether you’re a golf enthusiast, a foodie, or a nature lover, Evans has plenty to offer. Let’s dive in!
Top 10 Best Things Evans, GA is known For
Evans is a town in Columbia County, Georgia, that is known for several things. Here are the top 10 best things Evans, GA, is known for:
- Golf Courses: Evans is home to some of the best golf courses in the country, such as the Jones Creek Golf Club and the Bartram Trail Golf Club. These courses attract golf enthusiasts from all over the world.
- Parks and Recreation: The town has several parks, including Evans Towne Center Park, which hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including concerts, festivals, and farmers markets.
- Education: The town has some of the best schools in the state, including Evans High School and Lakeside High School.
- Medical Care: The town is home to several medical facilities, including the Doctors Hospital of Augusta and the Augusta University Medical Center.
- Lakes: Evans is near several lakes, such as Clarks Hill Lake and Thurmond Lake, where residents and visitors can enjoy fishing, boating, and other water activities.
- Shopping: The town has several shopping centers, including the Evans Town Center, which features a variety of retail shops and restaurants.
- Dining: Evans has a diverse selection of restaurants, ranging from casual dining to fine dining, offering a variety of cuisine from around the world.
- Culture: The town has a rich cultural scene, including several art galleries, theaters, and museums, such as the Augusta Museum of History and the Morris Museum of Art.
- Sports: Evans has a thriving sports community, with many opportunities to participate in a variety of sports, including soccer, baseball, basketball, and more.
- Quality of Life: The town has a high quality of life, with a low cost of living, excellent schools, and a welcoming community, making it an ideal place to live and visit.
- What is East Point, GA known for
- Interesting & Unknown Facts About Dunwoody, GA
- Top 10 Best Things Duluth, GA is Famous For
Interesting & Unknown Facts About Evans, GA
1. The city of Evans first began as an unincorporated area known as White Level but the name was changed after a postmaster of the area, Benjamin Franklin Evans.
2. Evans is home to some unique landmark spots – the Confederate Monument and Old Columbia County Courthouse which were both built in the late 1800s.
3. Evans is known as the “Green World” because of its abundance of lush green scenery – perfect for outdoor activities such as camping, fishing and more.
4. Evans is part of the Augusta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area and is the third largest city in Augusta with a population of around 30,000.
5. Evans is home to the historic Phinizy Swamp Nature Park – a 500+ acre nature center offering visitors a chance to explore the features of the Georgia wetlands.
6. Evans is the childhood home of country music star Travis Tritt and he attended Davidson Fine Arts Magnet School in Augusta until his family moved to Marietta, Georgia when he was in 8th grade.
7. Every September, the city hosts a festival called “Celebrate Evans Go Green” which celebrates the city’s green initiatives and encourages consumption awareness.
8. The McDuffie Woods Park in Evans offers many activities such as a nature and woodland trails, along with a picnic area and playground.
9. Lake Thurmond, the largest lake in Georgia, is located just outside downtown Evans and is the third-largest man-made lake east of the Mississippi.
10. The Evans Towne Center Park features activities and attractions such as two fishing ponds, two playgrounds, a community garden, an amphitheater, and a farmers market.
Things to do in Evans, GA
There are plenty of fun and exciting things to do in Evans, GA. Here are some of the top activities and attractions that you should consider checking out:
- Play Golf: Evans is home to several world-class golf courses, including the Jones Creek Golf Club and the Bartram Trail Golf Club. These courses offer scenic views and challenging holes that will test your skills.
- Visit the Parks: Evans has several parks that are perfect for picnics, hiking, and other outdoor activities. Some of the popular parks in the area include the Evans Towne Center Park, Blanchard Woods Park, and Patriots Park.
- Explore the Lakes: Evans is located near several lakes, including Clarks Hill Lake and Thurmond Lake. These lakes offer opportunities for fishing, boating, and other water activities.
- Attend Local Events: Evans hosts a variety of events throughout the year, including concerts, festivals, and farmers markets. Check the local calendar to see what’s coming up during your visit.
- Visit Museums and Galleries: Evans has a thriving cultural scene, with several art galleries, museums, and theaters. The Augusta Museum of History and the Morris Museum of Art are just a short drive away.
- Shop and Dine: Evans has a variety of shopping centers and restaurants, offering a range of options for every taste and budget.
- Play Sports: Whether you prefer soccer, baseball, or basketball, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in sports in Evans. The town has several sports leagues and facilities, including the Augusta Sports Leagues.
- Visit Local Farms: Evans is home to several local farms that offer tours and activities, including pick-your-own produce, hayrides, and petting zoos.
Overall, Evans, GA, offers something for everyone, from outdoor enthusiasts to culture lovers. With its beautiful scenery, friendly community, and endless activities, it’s no wonder why so many people love calling this town home.
History & Information of Evans, GA
Evans, Georgia is a census-designated place and unincorporated community located in Columbia County, Georgia, at the intersection of State Route 28 and State Route 104. It is less than five miles from the border of Richmond County, and next to the Augusta National Golf Club. The population was 24,539 as of the 2010 census.
The community was named after Confederate general Clement A. Evans, who was born near Augusta in 1833. He was in the Confederate States Army, and served as a major general. He also was a state senator, represented Georgia in the United States House of Representatives, and was the chairman of the Democratic Party in Georgia in 1876.
The Evans area was first established in the 1820s, when a stagecoach route between Athens and Augusta traveled through Evans. The first post office was established in 1896. Art Johnson, a local merchant and cattleman, became the first postmaster, and he gave the community the name “Evans” in honor of the famous Confederate general.
Know more about Georgia
- Interesting & Unknown Facts About Douglasville, GA
- Interesting & Unique Facts About Decatur, GA
- Top 10 Best Things Dalton, GA is Famous For
The early part of the 20th century saw the area expand as more people moved there to take advantage of the area’s proximity to Augusta. By the 1970s, the town had several elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school.
In 1978, the Augusta National Golf Club opened its doors in Evans, and the tournament that it hosts, the Masters, continues to draw large crowds every April. The surrounding areas have also grown to accommodate the demand for housing from spectators.
Today, Evans is a growing and vibrant community that is home to more than 24,000 residents and numerous businesses. While growth and progress have brought big changes to Evans, the community has also maintained its traditional small-town sensibilities.
Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.