What is Mableton, GA known for | What is Mableton famous for22nd May 2023
Mableton, Georgia is a bustling suburb located in Cobb County. It is known for its history, its picturesque landscape, and its active community. Founded in 1843, Mableton is one of the oldest towns in Georgia, having been around for almost 200 years.
Located in the rolling hills of the Appalachian Mountains and just a short drive away from Atlanta, Mableton is known for its warm and inviting atmosphere and small-town charm.
The city is home to a variety of attractions, including historic spots, outdoor recreation areas, and entertainment centers. Whether you enjoy shopping, dining, or exploring the outdoors, Mableton has something for everyone.
Come to Mableton to experience the rich and vibrant culture and history of one of Georgia’s most beloved towns!
Interesting Facts & Unique Things About Mableton, GA
1. The community of Mableton was founded in 1908 when its namesake, Mable Thomas, purchased the land with her husband Robert Thomas. It was incorporated in 1912.
2. The first post office in Mableton was established in 1910.
3. In the early 1900s, Mableton was mostly made up of a small number of rural farms producing crops like cotton, corn, peanuts, peaches and other vegetables.
4. Mableton is home to several historic landmarks, including the Settles House, a 19th-century home built in 1909, and the First Baptist Church of Mableton, constructed in 1916.
5. In the early 20th century, Mableton was the site of the last grand plantation in Cobb County.
6. Mableton is the birthplace of former United States President Jimmy Carter.
7. Mableton is home to a sizable population of Italian-Americans, drawn to the area in search of employment opportunities in the early 20th century.
8. In 1976, Mableton was the first community in Cobb County to incorporate a pedestrian-friendly street plan, establishing shared roadways between sidewalks and businesses to encourage people to shop locally.
9. In 2013, Mableton was declared an All-America City by the National Civic League.
Read more about Georgia City
Top 10 Best Things Mableton, GA is Famous For
Mableton is a small town located in Cobb County, Georgia, United States. Although it is a small town, it has many interesting things to offer. Here are the top 10 best things that Mableton, GA is famous for:
- The Mable House – This historic property was built in 1843 and is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Mableton. It is now used as an event venue and community center.
- Silver Comet Trail – This is a popular biking and hiking trail that runs through Mableton. It stretches over 61 miles and connects Mableton to other cities in Georgia.
- Six Flags Over Georgia – This amusement park is located just a few miles from Mableton and is a popular destination for families.
- Mableton Day – This is an annual event that takes place in Mableton in May. It includes a parade, live music, food vendors, and other activities.
- Vinings Historic Preservation Society – This organization is dedicated to preserving the historic sites in and around Mableton and educating the public about the area’s history.
- Mableton Farmers Market – This weekly farmers market is a popular destination for locals who are looking for fresh produce and other local goods.
- Mableton Amphitheater – This outdoor venue hosts a variety of concerts and other events throughout the year.
- Wallace Park – This park is a popular destination for families and includes a playground, picnic areas, and walking trails.
- The Georgian Club – This exclusive club is located in Mableton and offers fine dining, golf, and other amenities.
- South Cobb Arts Alliance – This organization promotes the arts in Mableton and the surrounding areas and hosts a variety of art exhibits and events throughout the year.
History & Information of Mableton, GA
Mableton is an unincorporated suburban community located in Cobb County, Georgia, United States, a northwest suburb of Atlanta. Mableton was named after Robert Mable, a United States Congressman who represented Georgia’s 7th district (now much of the northern and western parts of Cobb County) from 1841 to 1843.
The area was almost exclusively agricultural until the early 1950s, when urban development and industrial parks began to take shape. Mableton had a population of approximately 37,000 as of 2019.
Mableton is home to two of the largest retail centers in Metro Atlanta: Sweetwater Station, featuring numerous restaurants and stores, and the Mableton Square Shopping Center, featuring The Home Depot, Lowes, Kmart, and Modell’s Sporting Goods.
The Mable House Arts Center, a Cobb County cultural facility, is located near Barney Lake and serves as host to a variety of community events, performances, and concerts throughout the year. It was originally the estate of Henry Hardin. There was also a Mable House Amphitheater that was once located on the grounds of the Mable House, but is now closed.
The Mable House Barnes Amphitheater is a 7,500 seat Amphitheater located next to the Sweetwater Station Shopping Center. The venue is used for a variety of events including concerts, plays, and national radio shows.
Mableton is also home to many parks, including Nickajack Park, Sweetwater Creek State Park, George Heery Park (connected to Nickajack Park), and Clay Road Park.
Mableton is served by the Cobb County School district. It has three elementary schools (Nickajack, Clay Road, & Harmony-Leland) and one middle school, Floyd Middle School. The high schools serving Mableton are Pebblebrook High School and South Cobb High School.
Mableton is home to two hospitals, St. Joseph’s Hospital-Camp Creek and WellStar Cobb Hospital.
Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.