Decatur, GA is a vibrant city located along the Yellow River in DeKalb County. Known for its tree- lined streets, boutiques, and diverse eateries, Decatur has become a popular destination for both locals and visitors. As such, it has become a cultural hub for the region.
Some of the things that Decatur is most known for include its thriving food scene featuring locally owned and operated restaurants, its lively nightlife, which includes live music venues, craft beer bars, and c**ktail bars and its active community which supports both local art and festivals throughout the year.
Decatur also plays host to many outdoor activities like canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking and golfing.
1. The city of Decatur is home to the world’s largest Ferris wheel and the world’s longest urban whitewater course.
2. Decatur is home to the historic Scott Candler Library, built in 1895 and the oldest continuously operating library in the state of Georgia.
3. Decatur is home to a fantastic/vibrant art scene, including local galleries and art studios, various plays and theatrical performances, as well as music venues, open mike nights and outdoor festivals.
4. Decatur is the birthplace of two modern Olympic sports: triathlons, first staged in 1989 and freestyle BMX, first staged in 2010.
5. Decatur is the first LEED-certified city in Georgia, and has numerous sustainable programs, including the Farmer’s Market and City-wide recycling program.
6. Decatur is the home of BlueTarp Brewing Co., Georgia’s first co-op-structured Brewery.
7. The city of Decatur is often credited as the first city in the world to install a FiberOp network.
8. Restaurants in Decatur have been featured on the Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.”
9. Decatur is the home to Georgia’s oldest operating movie theater, the Plaza Theater, which was built in 1935.
10. Decatur is home to one of the oldest African American churches in the state, Decatur First United Methodist Church. It was established in 1873 and is still active today.
Decatur, GA is known for several things, including:
Decatur is a city in DeKalb County, Georgia, United States. It is a suburb of Atlanta and part of the Atlanta metropolitan area. The city is home to the DeKalb County Courthouse and the historic DeKalb County Courthouse Square, which includes the DeKalb County Courthouse, the Dekalb Historical Society and the old DeKalb County Jail.
The city of Decatur was founded in 1823, as a trading post for settlers. It was incorporated in 1822. In the early days of Decatur, the main industry was cotton farming. With the completion of the railroad in 1842, the city grew rapidly. By 1890, Decatur was home to more than 8,000 people and had grown into a major railroad transportation hub. This was the era of the Great Migration of African Americans to the city, which would become a flourishing and ethnically diverse hub.
The city of Decatur has long been known for its progressive and innovative policies. In 2006 the city became the first municipality in the state to adopt a living wage ordinance, which requires large city contractors to pay their employees a living wage of at least $10.75 an hour. Decatur was also the first city in Georgia to adopt a parks, trails and green spaces plan, which provided funding for the acquisition of green space and construction of parks around the city.
Today, Decatur is a thriving, diverse city with a vibrant arts scene. The city is home to a number of parks, lakes, and natural areas, as well as restaurants, theaters, and other entertainment options. Decatur is also home to Emory University and Agnes Scott College, two of the most prestigious colleges in the region. Decatur is an excellent place to live, work, and play and is a great place for both visitors and locals alike.
16 Oct, 2023
5 Oct, 2023
12 Sep, 2023
8 Sep, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023