What is Canton, GA known for | What is Canton famous for13th May 2023
Canton, Georgia, is a charming city located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is known for being part of the “equal distance triangle” between three major cities: Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Birmingham. This easy access to large cities makes Canton a great place to live, work, and visit, as well as provides an array of activities to indulge in.
But what is Canton, Georgia most famous for? Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Canton, GA is a charming city with a rich history and plenty of small-town charm. From its historic downtown to its natural beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities, Canton has a lot to offer visitors and residents alike. In this blog post, we’ll explore what Canton, GA is known for and what makes it a unique and special place to visit and call home.
Interesting & Unknown Facts About Canton, GA
1. Canton was established as the county seat of Cherokee County in 1833.
2. The Creek Indian chief James Rogers and his son, George, re-established the Cherokee County in 1831 after the Indian Removal Act was enacted.
3. The historic downtown district of Canton is known as the Old Trolley Square.
4. Canton features the Etowah Indian Mounds, a large archaeological site including a large mound and several smaller mounds that were built as burial and ceremonial sites.
5. The Etowah Indian Mounds State Historic Site also houses the Etowah Indian Mounds Museum, which features Native American artifacts, as well as information on the Cherokee and Creek Indian cultures.
6. The Historic Courthouse of Canton is now a museum, which highlights the history and civil war of the area.
7. The largest employer in Canton is the state-funded North Georgia Regional College.
8. The city is home to Georgia National Cemetery, which is a National Cemetery for members of the Armed Forces and their dependents.
9. Canton hosts the annual Hickory Log Festival which includes entertainment, a parade, and family fun activities.
10. During the summer months, Canton hosts the weekly Rock the Block Concert Series with live music from local artists, food trucks, and local craft beer.
Top 10 Best Things Canton, GA is known For
- Historic Downtown Canton: The city’s charming downtown area is home to antique shops, boutiques, restaurants, and historic landmarks, including the Cherokee County History Museum and the Canton Theatre.
- Etowah River Park: This beautiful park offers river access, walking trails, picnic areas, and a playground, making it a popular destination for outdoor recreation.
- Cherokee County Historical Society & Museum: This museum is dedicated to preserving the history of Cherokee County and features exhibits on local history and culture.
- Funk Heritage Center: This museum on the campus of Reinhardt University features exhibits on Native American history and culture, including artifacts from the Etowah Mounds.
- Reinhardt University: Canton is home to Reinhardt University, a private liberal arts college that has been educating students for over 130 years.
- Blankets Creek Mountain Bike Trails: These mountain bike trails offer a variety of difficulty levels and stunning views of the surrounding natural beauty.
- Canton Theatre: This historic theatre hosts a variety of live performances, including plays, musicals, and concerts.
- Shopping at The Outlet Shoppes at Atlanta: This outdoor shopping center features over 100 stores and is a popular destination for bargain hunters.
- Canton First Monday Trade Days: This monthly flea market features over 1,000 vendors selling everything from antiques and collectibles to handmade crafts and artisanal foods.
- Boling Park: This expansive park features sports fields, playgrounds, walking trails, and picnic areas, making it a great spot for outdoor recreation and family-friendly activities.
- Interesting & Unique Facts About Brookhaven, GA
- Best Things Augusta-Richmond County, GA is known For
Things to do in Canton, Georgia
Canton, Georgia offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors and locals alike. Here are some of the top things to do in Canton:
- Visit the Historic Downtown: Stroll through the charming downtown area to explore antique shops, boutiques, restaurants, and historic landmarks.
- Explore the Etowah River Park: Enjoy river access, walking trails, picnic areas, and a playground at this beautiful park.
- Cherokee County Historical Society & Museum: Learn about the history and culture of Cherokee County at this informative museum.
- Funk Heritage Center: Discover Native American history and culture at this museum on the campus of Reinhardt University.
- Reinhardt University: Attend a lecture, concert, or sporting event at this private liberal arts college.
- Go mountain biking at Blankets Creek Mountain Bike Trails: Test your skills and enjoy stunning views at these popular mountain bike trails.
- Catch a show at the Canton Theatre: Experience live theater and music performances in a historic venue.
- Shop at The Outlet Shoppes at Atlanta: Browse through over 100 stores to find bargains on popular brands.
- Attend the Canton First Monday Trade Days: Shop for unique items at this monthly flea market with over 1,000 vendors.
- Visit Boling Park: Play sports, take a walk on the trails, have a picnic or let your kids have fun at the playground in this large park
History & Information of Canton, GA
Canton is a city in and the county seat of Cherokee County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 22,958, up from 7,709 in 2000. Canton is located near the Etowah River and is 39 miles north of Atlanta.
Canton was founded in 1833 as the seat of Cherokee County by proposition of settlers from Taylor’s Ridge and Holly Creek. The Cherokee of the area supported the forcible removal of the Indians during the Cherokee Trail of Tears in the 1830s. The city was named for the fact that it was the closest settlement to the Chinese trading post at the juncture of the Etowah River and the Canton River. The city became a booming center of local trade, as well as the county seat in 1833.
In 1834, the first county courthouse was built and is still standing on the town square. The city was previously known as Etowah Courthouse. In 1846, the city was officially renamed Canton, beginning a brief period of economic growth and industrial development.
During the American Civil War, the Canton railroad depot served as a train station, a point of contact between the Union and Confederate troops. During the war, an arsenal was built in the city and became a Confederate stronghold. Many of the city’s inhabitants volunteered to serve in the Confederate army.
In the early 20th century, Canton experienced a population explosion, due to the completion of the Marietta and North Georgia Railway. This railway made it possible for residents to travel to and from the city for work or for leisure. The population continued to grow, and by the 1940s, the city had made several industrial advances, and the population had grown to 4,796.
Today, Canton is a thriving city and is the home of a number of historic sites, such as the historic county courthouse, the Etowah Indian Mounds, the Etowah Archeological Site, and the Canton Theater. It is also home to a number of festivals, such as the Cherokee County Bluegrass Festival. Additionally, the city is home to the Cherokee County School System, which serves the area.
Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.