Stonecrest, GA is located in eastern DeKalb County of Georgia and is an up-and-coming city known for its vibrant and diverse community, great schools, and excellent recreation and leisure opportunities.
It is also home to South DeKalb Mall, one of the largest shopping centers in the metro-Atlanta area. Stonecrest is known for its commitment to economic and community development, as the city continues to grow and build a strong and stable local economy.
The city is also famed for its annual DeKalb County International Festival, and re-creation of the historic Wynbrooke Square community designed to attract new residents and businesses. From top-rated restaurants and arcades, to farmers’ markets, Stonecrest is certainly worth a visit.
Interesting & Unknown Facts About Stonecrest, GA
Stonecrest, Georgia is a city located in DeKalb County, just east of Atlanta. Here are some interesting and shocking facts about Stonecrest:
- Stonecrest is one of the newest cities in Georgia, having been incorporated in 2016.
- Despite being a relatively small city, Stonecrest has a diverse population, with African Americans, White, Hispanic, and Asian residents all living in the area.
- The city’s name is derived from its location at the crossroads of several major highways, including I-20, I-285, and Georgia State Route 124.
- Stonecrest was the site of a controversial 2018 election, in which the incumbent mayor was accused of voter fraud and ultimately defeated by a former councilwoman.
- The city is home to the Atlanta Sports City, a massive sports complex featuring state-of-the-art facilities for football, basketball, soccer, and other sports.
- In 2019, Stonecrest made national headlines when it announced plans to create its own cryptocurrency, called City Coin, which would be used to incentivize local businesses and attract investment to the area.
- The city is located near the site of the former Georgia International Horse Park, which was built for the 1996 Summer Olympics and now hosts a variety of equestrian and other events.
- Stonecrest has been affected by several high-profile crimes in recent years, including a 2018 shooting at the Atlanta Sports City and a 2020 shooting at a local Walmart.
- Despite its challenges, Stonecrest has a thriving business community, with a number of major corporations and small businesses operating in the area.
- Stonecrest is known for its natural beauty, with scenic landscapes and outdoor recreational opportunities available at nearby parks and nature preserves.
Read more about Georgia City
Top 10 Best Things Stonecrest, GA is known For
Stonecrest, Georgia is a city located in DeKalb County, just east of Atlanta. Here are the top 10 best things that Stonecrest is known for:
- The Mall at Stonecrest: The city is home to one of the largest shopping centers in the Southeast, featuring over 1.3 million square feet of retail space, including major department stores and over 100 specialty shops and restaurants.
- Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area: Stonecrest is home to a 40,000-acre national heritage area, which includes scenic landscapes, historic sites, and recreational opportunities such as hiking, biking, and fishing.
- Panola Mountain State Park: Stonecrest is also home to the 1,635-acre Panola Mountain State Park, which offers a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, horseback riding, and archery.
- Historic Lithonia: The city is located near the historic town of Lithonia, which features several notable buildings and landmarks, including the Lithonia City Hall, the Lithonia Baptist Church, and the Lithonia Historic District.
- Stonecrest City Hall: The city’s unique City Hall building, designed by renowned architect Robert A. M. Stern, is a striking landmark that features a modern, glass-and-steel design.
- Stonecrest Amphitheater: The city’s new amphitheater hosts a variety of outdoor concerts and events throughout the year, featuring top musical acts and local performers.
- The Arabia Mountain PATH Trail: The city is part of the 33-mile PATH Trail network, which provides a scenic route for hiking, biking, and jogging through natural and urban landscapes.
- Stonecrest Library: The city’s state-of-the-art library offers a wide range of resources and services for residents, including books, DVDs, digital media, and educational programs.
- Stonecrest Police Department: The city’s highly-trained police department is committed to providing top-notch public safety and community service, with a focus on building strong relationships with residents and businesses.
- Stonecrest Economic Development: The city’s Economic Development department is dedicated to promoting business growth and development, attracting new businesses to the area, and providing support and resources for local entrepreneurs and small business owners.
History & Information of Stonecrest, GA
Stonecrest is an unincorporated city, located in DeKalb County, Georgia, United States, situated in the fast-growing, affluent southeastern section of metropolitan Atlanta.
Stonecrest was incorporated in late 2016 and the city elected its first mayor and four inaugural city council members in March of 2017. The city’s development includes a 1,500-acre commercial and residential area and the Grand Oasis Resort and Convention Center, with an 18-hole championship golf course. Annually, Stonecrest celebrates several holiday traditions, including a hometown Fire Department parade and a hair tinning festival.
Stonecrest is home to many larger-than-life attractions, such as the Stonecrest Mall with its estimated 550,000 square feet of shopping space. Centers of culture, education, and leisure abound such as the Stonecrest Public Library and the Stonecrest Cultural Arts Center. Stonecrest is home to the DeKalb Golf Club and the Woodland Hills Golf Course, an 18-hole championship course.
From its 2017 incorporation, Stonecrest has seen a rapid growth in the number of businesses that reside within the city, as well as in the residential population. Migration to the area is especially driven by millennials looking to take advantage of the close proximity to Atlanta’s thriving job market.