Kennesaw, Georgia is known as a city steeped in history and culture. The city, located just outside of Atlanta, is a popular destination for both tourists and locals looking to experience a blend of the past, present and future.
With its plentiful outdoor destinations, museums, and attractions, Kennesaw has something for everyone. From outdoor activities like camping and horseback riding, to cultural destinations such as Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History, and more, Kennesaw is famous for its diverse set of experiences and things to do.
Known for its rich history and diverse community, Kennesaw offers a unique blend of small-town charm and modern amenities.
But what exactly is Kennesaw, GA known for? In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at what makes this city so special, from its famous Civil War history to its vibrant cultural scene. Whether you’re a longtime resident or a first-time visitor, read on to discover the many fascinating facts and attractions that make Kennesaw a truly unforgettable destination.
Table of Contents
1. The city has been named after the historic Kennesaw Mountain, where the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain was fought during the American Civil War.
2. The city of Kennesaw is home to the nation’s largest museum dedicated to the history of the Civil War, the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.
3. The city has one of the highest concentrations of public art in the entire state of Georgia, with some of the pieces being created by internationally renowned artists.
4. The city is home to a wide variety of businesses and industries, including Wayfield Foods and the NETI Health Education Center.
5. Kennesaw became the first city in the United States to require that every household possess a gun in 1982. The law was eventually overturned after a legal battle.
6. Kennesaw is home to a variety of annual festivals, such as the annual Kennesaw Big Shanty Festival, which celebrates the history and culture of the city.
7. The state’s only United States Merchant Marine academy, located in the city, provides educational and employment opportunities to aspiring mariners.
8. Kennesaw is home to several universities, including Kennesaw State University, the largest university in the state, and Chattahoochee Technical College.
9. The city is located in Cobb County, one of the most populous counties in the entire state of Georgia.
10. Kennesaw was the first city in the southeastern United States to be recognized as a Bicycle-Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists.
The name “Kennesaw” is derived from the Cherokee word “Gah-nee-sah,” which means “cemetery” or “burial ground.” The name was given to the area by the Cherokee people, who used the land for burial purposes.
When the area was settled by Europeans in the 1830s, the name was anglicized to “Kennesaw.” Today, the city of Kennesaw, Georgia, still honors the area’s rich Native American history and culture through various events and festivals.
A fun fact about Kennesaw, GA is that the city has an ordinance requiring every head of household to own and maintain a firearm, with some exceptions for convicted felons or those with a physical or mental disability.
The ordinance was passed in 1982 as a response to a handgun ban in a nearby city and was intended to promote public safety by encouraging responsible gun ownership.
While the ordinance has been controversial and challenged in court, it remains on the books to this day and is often cited as a unique aspect of Kennesaw’s history and culture.
Kennesaw, GA is a vibrant city located in Cobb County. Here are the top 10 things that Kennesaw is famous for:
Kennesaw is a city in Cobb County, Georgia, United States, located in the greater Atlanta metropolitan area. It had a population of 33,627 at the 2010 census, up from 28,256 at the 2000 census. It is well known for its non-compulsory military service ordinance requiring all males between the ages of 17 and 18 to maintain an honorable discharge from joining the military service as a requirement for living within city limits. An Aug. 3, 1984, referendum was approved by potential residents. This ordinance also requires all individuals who move into the city to register for the draft within 30 days of establishing residency.
The area around Kennesaw and Marietta, where the Kennesaw State University is located, is one of the fastest growing areas in Georgia. It has been both a bedroom community for those who commute to other cities in the metro area, as well as a bustling physical and economic center in its own right.
The area around Kennesaw was developed as a railroad hub during the Civil War. During the conflict, hospitals and barracks were established in and around the city. In 1887, the Marietta and North Georgia Railroad extended its line to Kennesaw. The city of Kennesaw was officially incorporated in 1887. The city was named after the nearby mountain of Kennesaw Mountain.
At the time of the 2010 census, there were 33,627 people living in the city, a growth of 15.98% since 2000. The median age was 34.3, and the median household income was $71,235. The racial composition of the city was 72.8% White, 19.4% Black, 0.4% Native American, 1.7% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 2.8% from other races, and 3.5% from two or more races. 4.2% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
23 Jan, 2024