What is Hinesville, GA known for | What is Hinesville famous for19th May 2023
Welcome to Hinesville, Georgia – a city full of rustic charm, remarkable history, and plenty of adventure. Whether you’re a resident of the area or simply passing through, you’re sure to find something that piques your interest.
Hinesville is known for its vibrant culture, with plenty of festivals, events, and activities to participate in throughout the year. It’s also home to Georgia’s third-largest military installation Fort Stewart and historic downtown area.
Interesting & Unique Facts About Hinesville, GA
1. Hinesville is home to the largest Army installation east of the Mississippi River, Fort Stewart, which houses the Third Infantry division.
2. The city is named after Major Charles Hines, who was a founder of the Georgia National Guard and served during the Mexican-American War.
3. Hinesville is home to the Historic Lewis Frasier Museum, which houses Georgia’s oldest private museum and preserves the cultural heritage of the local residents.
4. Liberty County is the largest county in Georgia and Hinesville is the county seat.
5. Hinesville has served as the backdrop for various feature films, including Sweet Home Alabama and The Assaultsherokee Rose.
6. The city is home to the coastal Georgia Film & Television Alliance (CGFTA), which serves independent filmmakers and their projects, as well as furthering educational and economic development around film production in the area.
7. The city of Hinesville is the hometown of retired NBA player Joe Johnson.
8. The city of Hinesville operates an official Farmers Market in the downtown area every Thursday, with fresh produce and handmade crafts from area vendors.
Top 10 Best Things Hinesville, GA is Famous For
- Fort Stewart: Hinesville, GA is home to Fort Stewart, one of the largest military installations in the United States. The base serves as the headquarters for the Army’s 3rd Infantry Division and is a major economic driver for the region.
- Liberty County Courthouse: The Liberty County Courthouse is a beautiful example of neoclassical architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Visitors can take a tour of the building and learn about the history of the county.
- First African Baptist Church: First African Baptist Church is the oldest African American church in Georgia and has a rich history dating back to the 1800s. Visitors can take a tour of the church and learn about its role in the Civil Rights Movement.
- Hinesville Farmers Market: The Hinesville Farmers Market is a popular destination for locals and visitors alike. It features fresh produce, handmade crafts, and live entertainment.
- Bradwell Institute: Bradwell Institute is a high school located in Hinesville that has produced many successful graduates over the years. The school is known for its strong academic and athletic programs.
- Bryant Commons: Bryant Commons is a 150-acre park located in the heart of Hinesville. It features walking trails, a playground, a splash pad, and a variety of community events throughout the year.
- Hinesville Downtown District: The downtown district of Hinesville is a charming area with a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options. Visitors can take a stroll down the historic streets and enjoy the local culture.
- Historic Liberty Trail: The Historic Liberty Trail is a driving tour that takes visitors through the historic sites and landmarks of Liberty County. It includes stops at the Midway Museum, Dorchester Academy, and Fort Morris State Historic Site.
- James A. Brown Park: James A. Brown Park is a popular destination for outdoor recreation. It features a baseball field, a playground, and a walking trail.
- Annual Blues and BBQ Festival: The Annual Blues and BBQ Festival is a popular event held in Hinesville each year. It features live music, delicious food, and a variety of family-friendly activities.
- Interesting Facts & Unique Things About Griffin, GA
- Top 10 Best Things Evans, GA is known For
- 10 Best Things Gainesville, GA is known For
History & Information of Hinesville, GA
Hinesville is the county seat of Liberty County, Georgia. Located near the Atlantic coast and bordering the South Carolina state line, the city of approximately 33,000 has evolved since its founding in 1837.
Prior to 1837, the area now known as Hinesville was occupied by Native American tribes. Its first European settlers were former slaves of Colonel Richard Richardson of Midway, who freed them in exchange for their work on his land. After being granted a land charter from the state of Georgia, the newly freed African Americans moved to the area and created a village known as Franksville, named after the prominent freedman, Abner Frank.
In 1837, the city, then known as White Hill, was incorporated and the name later changed to Hinesville. The new name was in honor of Dr. Georgia Hines, who spearheaded the effort to bring a post office to the newly formed city. Hinesville officially became the county seat of Liberty County in 1864, and experienced slow and steady growth as farms and timber mills cropped up around the area.
In the 1940s, the population of Hinesville jumped due to the establishment of nearby Fort Stewart and the accompanying military base. This influx of military personnel continued over the following decades as the city grew and developed a sizable population of active and retired veterans.
Today, Hinesville is a bustling small city, with a vibrant downtown area. The success of small businesses, large employers, and the natural beauty of the area has helped to make Hinesville a popular place for families and retirees. The area is home to the World’s Largest Peanut Cluster, an annual festival called Cabbage Festival, and one of the best high schools in the state. With its friendly atmosphere and tight-knit sense of community, Hinesville offers its residents an enjoyable small-town lifestyle.
Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.