Saks is a small city located in the state of Alabama. It is situated in Calhoun County, and is part of the Anniston-Oxford metropolitan area. The Saks area was first settled in 1815 by Thomas Saks after he was given a land grant in the area. The town was originally named ‘Sacksville’ but had to be changed because of a conflict with another town in the state that had the same name.
Saks was incorporated in 1872 and went on to become a center for cotton production, manufacturing, and milk production. Although the cotton industry suffered greatly during the Great Depression, Saks managed to remain relatively stable due to its diverse economy. In more recent years, it has become a bedroom community for nearby larger cities such as Anniston and Oxford.
Although there is no public transportation running through Saks, several highways pass through the town. Interstate 20, US Highway 78, and US Highway 431 provide easy access from the neighboring cities throughout the region.
Saks is home to several local landmarks including the historic Saks High School, which was founded in 1921. The school is now on the National Register of Historic Places and is the only all-black high school left in Calhoun County. The Rickwood Caverns State Park is also located near the town and provides visitors with an opportunity to explore an underground cave system filled with unique limestone formations. The park also offers camping, hiking, and other recreational activities.
1. Saks, AL was founded in 1925 and has been used as a farming community and as a base for manufacturing.
2. The name of the town originated with an old store called Saks & Co. that had been located in the area.
3. The local economy was largely based on the production of cotton and chickens in the early 1900s.
4. The town was also known for producing eggs, chickens, turkeys, hogs, and hay.
5. Saks is most famously known for being the birthplace of comedic actor Tim Meadows in 1961.
6. The town is located in Calhoun County, just northeast of Anniston and southwest of Oxford.
7. Saks is part of the Anniston-Oxford Metropolitan Statistical Area, and it is located within a few miles of two colleges, Jacksonville State University and Gadsden State Community College.
8. Saks is home to the oldest high school in Calhoun County, Saks High School, which was founded in 1925 along with the town.
9. In addition to Saks High School, the town is also served by two elementary schools, Saks Primary and Saks Intermediate.
10. The town also has a fully staffed fire station with three bays, a city hall, and a public library.
Saks, AL is known for its small-town hospitality and its rural landscape. It is located in Butler County, Alabama and is famous for its annual Fall Festivals, which include activities like live music, tractor displays, and more. The town is also known for its diverse shopping center, featuring a wide variety of businesses and services.
Saks, Alabama is a small city with a population of 2,154. If you are planning to visit, you will find plenty of outdoor activities that are bound to keep you entertained for the entire day. Downtown Saks offers a unique shopping experience with antique stores, boutiques, restaurants, and local shops. For those looking for some outdoor adventure, there are plenty of parks to explore in the area including Pines Soccer Park, Camp Urlas Pedigo Park, and Talladega National Forest. Other attractions include charming small towns, historic sites and museums, golf courses, and the Alabama International Dragway. Those visiting in the summer can enjoy a variety of festivals and events beginning in May and continuing through October.
24 Jan, 2024