Are you looking for lesser-known facts about Italy? Here is a collection of interesting and fun facts about Italy which You’ve Never Heard Before as well as you can also read general information about Italy such as about culture, history, government rule etc.
Italy is the most populous country in Europe as well as being beautiful. WhatsApp can also be witnessed for divorce in Italy, and today we will tell you interesting facts about Italy.Italy is a country full of tourist places. By traveling to Italy, you will experience amazing bliss and can get information about the history, culture and traditions of every city associated with this country.
General facts about Italy
- Total Population – 60.6 million (6.06 crores)-2017
- Highest Mountain – Monte Bianco 4,808 m
- Total Area – 301,340 km2
- Largest Lake – Garda 370 km2 (140 sq mi)
- National Day – 2 June
- Currency – Euro
- National Song – “Il Canto degli Italiani”
- Capital – Rome
Amazing Facts About Italy For Tourists and Kids
1.Italy’s capital is Rome and Italian is spoken in Italy.
Rome, the capital of Italy, was founded on 753 BC. The area of Rome is about 1,285 km² and has a population of about 2.9 million(29 lakhs).Rome also known as the Eternal City and this city is almost 3000 years old. It has remained the capital of the country since 1871.
Rome is known worldwide for its best architecture. This beautiful city of Italy is situated on seven hills situated on the banks of the river Tiber.
Rome is a 14000 year old city. Rome is considered a city of fashion, Roman cuisine and cinema. It is one of the most important tourist destinations in the world. It is also called the most vibrant city in Europe. In Rome you can roam the Galleria Nazionale de Arte Moderna. It is the most suitable place for art lovers to visit. This art gallery was established in 1883. This art gallery is known for showcasing contemporary and modern art.
Watch Beauty Of Itlay
2.Italy is Europe’s second oldest country after Greece.
3.Modern Italy was established in 1861 as a state but after the second world war, on 10 June 1946, it became a democratic country.
4.Italy is the world’s eighth largest economy.
5.There are more than 50 historic buildings in Italy, which have been rated “World Heritage Sites”.
6.Italy is the world’s largest producer of wine, and it is export to every country in the world.Italy contribution
45–50 million hl per year, and it is about a quarter of world production.
7.Island Of Death
There is an island in Italy, which is known as ‘Island of the Dead‘.Italy’s island called “Poveglia” is considered to be the most dangerous island in Italy. It is one of the most scary places in the world. It is said that it is difficult for people who go here to return alive.Actually, there is a creepy story related to this island, due to which people do not want to go this island.
It is said that hundreds of years ago plague patients were brought to the island to die.Such use of the island continued even during the Black Death.In this case, those who died were buried there. Later, about 160000 thousand sick people were burnt alive due to increasing number of patients.
After this, people began to consider it as haunted and this island was completely deserted. Although the Mental Hospital was built on the island in 1922, it was closed after a few years. It is said that doctors and nurses started seeing many unusual things. At the same time, the patients admitted to the mental asylum were also seen ghosts of the plague patients.
Private owner bought in 1960
The island remained deserted for several years after the closure of the Mental Hospital.The Italian government then sold it to a private owner in 1960. The man stayed with his family for a few days, then left the place.After this, another family bought it to build a holiday home, but he was able to stay only one day in this island. It is said that the mouth of the daughter of the owner of the island was cut off by someone.
8.Every day thousands of people throw around € 3000 in Italy’s Trevi Fountain.
Trevi Fountain is situated in the city of Trevi, Rome. It is 85 feet high and 161 feet wide. It is one of the most beautiful fountains in the world.
It was designed by the Italian architect Nicola Salvi and built by Pietro Bracci. Its construction started in 1732 and ended in 1762.
9.Italy is a peninsular country. Peninsula means, the country which surrounded by water from 3 sides.
10.If we talked about World War I, Italy had lost .6 million soldiers and more than one million soldiers were badly injured in the fight.
11.There is a law in Italy that the color of the gondola boat there must be black. This boat is very light.
12.There is a city in Italy Falciano Del Massico where is illegal to die, because all the graveyards here are over.
13.Festivals Of Italy
Among the major festivals in Italy, the most important festivals are Christmas and Easter. Christmas is celebrated with great pomp throughout Italy, most shops in Italy are closed on Christmas day and vehicles are also banned. So that everyone together can carefully celebrate their sacred festival with great pomp and show.
There are also Christmas markets in many places. Children love Christmas very much. In Italy, a festival called Saint’s Day is also celebrated, in this festival people have to decorate the graves of their ancestors.
14.Italy Famous Food
Italy is a country where you can find a variety of unique dishes to eat. After tasting the delicious Italian food, you will love to come here again and again.
The most liked dishes in Italian cuisine are Pizza, Bottarga, Lasagna, Fiorentina Steak, Ribollita, Polenta, Ossobuco, Risotto, Carbonara and Truffles etc.
15.A man in Italy was arrested just because he was wearing a skirt on the public place.
16.The longest tunnel in the whole world is located in Italy, which goes to Switzerland. It is 57 kilometers long and it took more than 17 years to build it.
17.You will be amazed to know that, despite being a developed country, one-third of the population of Italy never used the Internet.
18.In Italy, a law was presented in 2012, in which you can not say “NO Ball” to anyone.In Italy “NO Ball” implies that we are telling somebody cowardly.
19.Human cave Sassi di matera
This ancient village in South Italy is known as Sassi di Matera, in the province of Basilicata. It is famous as the oldest cave city in the world.
The most surprising thing is that people still live here.Tourists from all over the world Visit here. These caves also have hotels and restaurants.This 9000 year old village is considered to be the first human settlement in Italy, reflecting the Stone Age.
- Protected by UNESCO, this village is part of the city of Matera, Italy. There are countless caves in the mountains, which are made by the fast flow of the river.
- It is believed that the humans who settled in the caves, have made complicated lanes and staircases everywhere, which are still there.
- Sassi di Matera seems to be a village of stone huts on first sight, but people still live in it.
- There is neither drinking water not proper sewage facility in these cave houses. Electricity is also often not available.
- At present, the number of people living here is increasing, due to which people have built rooms, hall, kitchen according to their convenience by cutting these stones.
- Along with these families their pets also live under the roof of these stones.
- Diet of people is very simple and it is common for people to have malaria.
The caves started collapsing, then they walked towards the city.After the Second World War, the people living here settled in the modern Matera city as the caves were collapsing.In 1993, it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, then it has got much support.
- Countless caves have been renovated and made habitable.
- There are also houses, hotels and restaurants, which impress the tourist a lot.
- In 2004, these caves were shown in a TV show Passion of the Christ and many biblical films were also filmed.
20.In 1968, a person in the sea near Italy had built a platform, declaring that platform to be a small country and becoming its president.
He named his country ‘The Republic of Rose Island’. Italy’s army took control of that platform and destroyed it.
21.Argentina is a country inhabited by the other continent (South America), but its 37% of the population’s ancestors were Italian.
22.Italy is a very beautiful country, but between 1861 and 1985, 26 million people left Italy.
23.Maximum earthquake in Europe is in Italy. And most of all the volcanoes in Europe are also in Italy.
24.Largest Arena in the world
The Colosseum Roman Arena in Rome is the largest arena in the world and one of the famous arenas in Italy.
The construction of the Colosseum Roman arena was started in 72nd AD by King Vespasian of Flavian and finished in 80th AD by his son Titus.
This arena was built as a huge building. More than 50,000 spectators can watch performances simultaneously in the Colosseum Arena. There are 80 entrances to enter in this building.
25.Whatsapp is witnessed about half of Italy’s divorce cases.
26.It is a law in the city of Milan,there is a need to keep a smile on the face at every important occasion, such as when visiting and meeting. This rule does not apply to cremation or hospitalization.
27.Probably will not know that “Bologna University” is Europe’s oldest university which is in Italy Which was founded in the 1080 AD.
28. Italy’s Vesuvius volcano was considered the first dormant volcano, but it exploded suddenly in 1944, killing thousands of people.
29. More than 600000 thousands Italian soldiers were killed in the first world war and more than 1 million soldiers were badly injured.
30. Italian wolf is unofficially the national animal of Italy, according to experts Italian wolves played an important role in the establishment of Rome.
31. Italy has a total of two independent states: Republic of San Marino (25 sq mi) and Vatican City (108.7 acres only).
32. Italy’s San Marino is the oldest republic in the world (A.D. 301), with less than 30,000 people living in it, as well as the world’s oldest constitution. Its citizens are known as Samarinis in Italy.
33. The highest point of Europe is in Italy. Monte Biano (white mountain) is 15,771 feet high and is also part of the Alps.
34. Italy is one of the founding members of the EU and also a member of the G8 (Group of 8 countries). G8 is a group of 8 powerful countries of the world.
35. Some parts of northern Italy are also known as Val Camonica, in which 3,50,000 petroglyphs are found. They were built about 10,000 years ago.
36. The language of music is also Italian. The word “Scale” came from Scala, which means “step”.
37. From 1861 to 1985, more than 2.6 million people left Italy (mostly from southern Italy), in order to seek a better life. After this, only 1 person out of 4 returned to Italy.
38. You may find this strange but it is true that about 5,00,000 Italian people visit one or more exorcism every year.
39. An Italian man gave his $ 13 million dollar property to his cat.
40. It is considered illegal to die in a village called Falciano del Massico in Italy because the cemetery there is completely filled.
41. Soccer is Italy’s most favorite sport. Not only this, Italy has also won the 4 World Cup.
42.Italy biggest circus orphi death in the ring of world’s largest ring master weber by tiger
The world’s largest ring master Ettore Weber was killed by a tiger attack in Italy’s largest circus Circo Orfei.
According to local media, there were four tigers inside the ring.Ettore Weber was preparing for her next show. Then a tiger knocked them down. After this, three other tigers also attacked him.
Even after death, the four tigers did not leave Weber and they continued to play with his body for about half an hour. The incident occurred in front of the doctors outside the ring. During the incident, Weber’s colleague tried to save him, but he could not succeed.
43.Italy’s mount etna volcano spews ash and fire
Mount Etna, located on the island of Sicily, is one of the highest volcanic peaks in the world. Volcanoes often erupt at this place.
There is a very beautiful garden around this volcano which is known as Parco dei Mostri.It is the highest and active volcano in Europe. It is located on the east coast of Sicily in Italy. Mount Etna is World Heritage site.
44.Court acquits 2 convicts, calling rape victim ugly
An Italian court acquitted two convicts accused of rape.All the judges were women in the panel that gave the verdict. There were slogans outside the court against the verdict.
The panel argued that the victim cannot be raped because she is ugly and looks like men. Protests are taking place across the country against the verdict.
45.A 400-year-old painting of Michelangelo found in a house of France
A 400-year-old painting of Michelangelo, one of the world’s most popular painters, is in the auction line.According to experts, this painting named ‘Judith and Holofernes’ was made by Michelangelo in 1607.It is believed that this painting can be sold for $ 170 million (about 1200 million rupees) at auction.The special thing is that this wonderful creation of Michelangelo went missing shortly after it was made.
In 2014, French painting art expert Eric Turkin found this painting spewing dust in the corner of a house in Toulon. In 2016, the French government first came to know about this painting.The painting was identified through two letters found with it. The letter was written in 1619 to the King of the Mantua State of Italy.(Sourc)
46.Italy is the only country that completely surrounded two countries Vatican City and San Marino.
Historical Facts about Italy
Italy is an attractive country located in the continent of Europe and the capital of Italy is Rome. Italy was brought into existence by the Greeks in the 9th century.If we talk about population, then it is the 23rd most populous country in the world and Italy is the fourth most populous country in Europe.If we look at the area, then the total area of Italy is spread over an area of about 301,338 square kilometers.
Italy is considered a center of knowledge science ,social science , arts and culture.Italy has great importance in terms of tourism. Tourists from country and abroad come to visit Italy and experience a lot of pleasure. You also want to get information about Italy and its importance. So definitely read this article.
Mythology and ancient facts about the history of Italy suggest that Italy was created by Napoleon.Italy had several wars with the Austrians, in which France and England participated in the Italian war. In 1870, Italy’s capital Rome completed the construction of Italy.At this time Victor Emanuel II became the king of Italy, but the people of Italy did not like this monarchy,so they abolished the monarchy in 1946 and Italy became an independent country as a republic.
Important Dates in Italy History
- 1861 – Italy becomes a nation-state during the reign of King Victor Immanuel II.
- 1915 – Italy enters World War I on behalf of the Union.
- 1922 – Fascist leader Benito Mussolini forms government, and moves the country towards fascist dictatorship.
- 1929 – Vatican City was established due to the Latin Pact.
- 1935 – Italy invades Ethiopia.
- 1940-45 – Italy fought on the German side in World War II. It was also attacked by allies in 1943, and a ceasefire was then signed.
- 1948 – New constitution was enacted. Christian Democracy won the election.
- 1951 – Italy joins the European Coal and Steel Community.
- 1955 – Italy joins the United Nation.
- 1957 – Founder member of the European Economic Community.
Tourism in Italy
According to a report 50 million tourist visit Italy every year. Italy earn 60% income from tourism.The months of April to June and September to October are considered best for visiting Italy. The crowd is also less at this time and the weather is very pleasant. In such a situation, a trip to Italy will be enjoyed. Due to favorable weather you will not have any kind of trouble.
1.Grand canal Venice
Due to its history, this city is different from other cities in the world. It is a group of 120 islands, divided into canals.
It is a pleasure to see the city on boats. Tourists enjoy this beautiful city floating on water by sitting on boats. The largest canal in Venice is the Grand Canal. This canal divides the city of Venice into two parts.
2.Leaning tower of pisa
The famous Tower of Pisa (Leaning Tower of Pisa) in Italy has suffered many powerful earthquakes since the year 1280 but in spite of that it stands.Leaning Tower of Pisa, was constructed in 177 years, it has been constructed in 296 phases.Pisa is a famous city and world famous for its tilted towers. Every year millions of tourists reach Italy to see this tilted tower. The architecture of this building is very amazing and its design is still very much liked by the people.
The city of Pompeii is a city located in the southeast of Italy, which is one of the popular attractions of Italy.
Let me tell you a shocking facts, The Pompeii city turned into a ruin due to the volcanic eruption numerousyears ago.
In this explosion, the whole city was buried with ashes. The city was excavated after being buried for long time about 1200 years. Through which people got information about the life of the human, more than 2.5 million(25 lakh) tourists visit this city every year.
4.Santa María del Fiore florence
The Santa Maria del Fior, designed by Arnolfo de Cambio,let me tell you that it is the third largest church in the world and was the largest church in Europe when it was completed in the fifteenth century . It is 153 meters long, 90 meters wide at the crossing and 90 meters high from the floor to the lantern.It is crowned by a dome and is the largest brick dome in the world till now.
If you know any new things about Italy then tell through the comments so that other people can also read, thank you