What If I Marry An Australian Citizen

What if I Marry an Australian Citizen?

Marrying an Australian citizen can open up new opportunities and pathways for individuals seeking to settle down in Australia. Whether you are considering marrying your Australian partner or are simply curious about the process, this blog post will provide you with a detailed overview of what to expect and how to navigate the complexities involved.

Marrying an Australian Citizen - A Pathway to Residency

Australia offers several visa options for individuals who are married to Australian citizens. These visas are designed to facilitate family reunions and enable couples to build a life together in Australia. The most common visa pathway for married partners is the subclass 820/801 Temporary and Permanent Partner visas.

The subclass 820 Temporary Partner visa allows you to live in Australia with your spouse on a temporary basis. Once you have held this visa for two years and meet the requirements, you can apply for the subclass 801 Permanent Partner visa, which grants you permanent residency in Australia.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for a partner visa, you must be legally married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Additionally, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Provide evidence of a genuine and ongoing relationship with your partner.
  • Undergo character and health checks.
  • Meet the necessary financial requirements to ensure you will not become a burden on the Australian government.

Applying for a Partner Visa

The process of applying for a partner visa can be complex and time-consuming. It involves submitting an application with supporting documents to the Department of Home Affairs. Some of the documents you may need to provide include:

  • Marriage certificate or proof of relationship
  • Passport and birth certificates
  • Police clearances
  • Proof of financial capacity

It is crucial to ensure that all documentation is accurately completed and that you meet all the necessary requirements. Hiring an immigration lawyer or agent can greatly assist you throughout the application process and increase your chances of success.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How long does it take to obtain a partner visa?

A: The processing times for partner visas can vary, but it typically takes around 12 to 18 months to be granted a temporary partner visa (subclass 820) and an additional 12 to 18 months for the permanent partner visa (subclass 801). Delays can occur if additional information or documentation is required.

Q: Can I work in Australia while on a partner visa?

A: Yes, once you are granted the temporary partner visa (subclass 820), you will have unrestricted work rights in Australia.

Q: Can I include dependent children in my partner visa application?

A: Yes, you can include any dependent children in your partner visa application. They must meet certain eligibility criteria and be included in your application at the time of submission.


Marrying an Australian citizen offers a viable pathway to residency in Australia. By understanding the requirements, preparing your documentation, and following the necessary steps, you can increase your chances of successfully obtaining a partner visa. However, due to the complexity of the application process, it is recommended to seek professional guidance from an immigration lawyer or agent to ensure a smooth and efficient application.

About me

Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.

Search Posts