Can Australian Citizen Sponsor Brother

Can an Australian Citizen Sponsor their Brother?

As an Australian citizen, you may wonder if you have the ability to sponsor your brother to live in Australia. In this blog post, we will explore the eligibility criteria, process, and requirements for sponsoring a brother, providing you with a comprehensive guide to help you understand the possibilities.

Eligibility Criteria for Sponsorship:

  • You must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident.
  • You must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Your brother must be living outside Australia when the visa application is lodged.
  • You need to prove a genuine and ongoing relationship with your brother.
  • You must meet the financial requirements to support your brother once he arrives in Australia.
  • You cannot sponsor your brother if you have sponsored another family member in the past and have not fulfilled your obligations.

Process and Requirements:

The process of sponsoring a brother involves several steps:

  1. Eligibility Check: Ensure that you meet all the eligibility criteria as mentioned above.
  2. Lodging the Application: Complete the necessary forms and submit the application online or by post along with the required documents.
  3. Waiting Period: The application will undergo processing, and you may be required to provide additional documentation or attend an interview if requested.
  4. Visa Grant: If the application is successful, your brother will be granted a visa to live in Australia.

During the process, you will need to provide various documents, including:

  • Proof of your Australian citizenship or permanent residency.
  • Birth certificates or relevant documents to establish the sibling relationship.
  • Evidence of your ongoing relationship, such as photos, emails, or shared financial responsibilities.
  • Financial documents demonstrating your ability to support your brother upon arrival.
  • Any additional documents requested by the Department of Home Affairs.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Here are some commonly asked questions and their answers regarding sponsoring a brother:

Q: Can I sponsor my brother if he is already in Australia on a different visa?

A: No, your brother must be residing outside Australia at the time of applying for the visa. If he is already in Australia, he will need to apply for a different type of visa.

Q: How long does the process take?

A: The processing time can vary depending on various factors. It is advisable to check the Department of Home Affairs website for the latest information on processing times.

Q: Can I withdraw my sponsorship application?

A: Yes, you can withdraw your sponsorship application at any time before the visa is granted. However, you should be aware that the application fees are generally non-refundable.

Q: Can my brother work in Australia on this visa?

A: Yes, once your brother is granted the visa, he will have the right to work and study in Australia.

Q: Are there any limitations or conditions associated with this visa?

A: The visa will generally have certain conditions, such as the requirement to maintain valid health insurance, obey Australian laws, and not seek social security benefits immediately upon arrival. It is essential for your brother to understand and comply with these conditions.

We hope this blog post has provided you with valuable information regarding sponsoring your brother as an Australian citizen. Remember, the process can be complex and subject to change, so it's advisable to consult with the Department of Home Affairs or seek professional advice to ensure a smooth application process.

About me

Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.

Search Posts