How Can An Australian Become An American Citizen

How Can an Australian Become an American Citizen?

Many Australians dream of living in the United States and becoming American citizens. Whether it's for work, education, or personal reasons, the process of obtaining American citizenship can seem daunting. However, with the right information and guidance, it is a feasible goal. In this blog post, we will outline the steps an Australian citizen can take to become an American citizen. So let's dive in!

Step 1: Obtain a Green Card

In order to become an American citizen, the first step for an Australian citizen is to obtain a Green Card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card. There are several ways to qualify for a Green Card, including through family, employment, refugee status, or through the diversity visa lottery.

Step 2: Meet the Residency Requirement

After obtaining a Green Card, an Australian citizen must meet the residency requirement to be eligible for American citizenship. This typically involves residing in the United States for at least five years with a Green Card. However, if the Green Card was obtained through marriage to a U.S. citizen, the requirement is reduced to three years of residency.

Step 3: File Form N-400

Once the residency requirement is met, an Australian citizen can file Form N-400, which is the Application for Naturalization. This form is available on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. It is important to carefully fill out the form and gather all necessary supporting documents, such as proof of identity, residency, and good moral character.

Step 4: Attend the Naturalization Interview and Exam

After submitting Form N-400, the applicant will be scheduled for a naturalization interview and exam. During the interview, an officer will review the application and ask questions about the applicant's background, character, and knowledge of the English language and U.S. government. The exam usually includes an English and civics test.

Step 5: Take the Oath of Allegiance

If the naturalization interview and exam are successful, an Australian citizen will be invited to attend a naturalization ceremony to take the Oath of Allegiance. This oath signifies the final step towards becoming an American citizen.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can an Australian citizen retain Australian citizenship after becoming an American citizen?

A: Yes, Australia allows dual citizenship, so an Australian citizen can retain their citizenship even after becoming an American citizen. However, it's important to check the laws and regulations of both countries to ensure compliance.

Q: How long does the process of becoming an American citizen usually take?

A: The process can vary depending on individual circumstances and the workload of USCIS. On average, it takes around six months to a year from filing the Form N-400 to attending the naturalization ceremony. It's important to stay patient and follow any instructions from USCIS.

Q: Are there any exceptions to the residency requirement for Australian citizens?

A: Yes, there are exceptions available for certain categories of individuals, such as those who have served in the U.S. armed forces or who are married to U.S. citizens serving abroad. It's advisable to consult with an immigration attorney to determine if any exceptions apply in your case.

Q: Can an Australian citizen work in the United States while waiting for citizenship?

A: Yes, with a valid Green Card, an Australian citizen can work in the United States without any additional work authorization. The Green Card serves as evidence of legal permanent residency.

In conclusion, while the process of becoming an American citizen as an Australian citizen may involve several steps and requirements, it is certainly achievable. By obtaining a Green Card, meeting the residency requirement, filing Form N-400, attending the naturalization interview and exam, and taking the Oath of Allegiance, an Australian citizen can fulfill their dream of becoming an American citizen. If you have any further questions or concerns, it is highly recommended to consult with an immigration attorney or contact the USCIS for guidance specific to your situation.

About me

Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.

Search Posts