Can Australian Citizen Sponsor Parents

Can Australian Citizens Sponsor Their Parents?

Australian citizens have the opportunity to sponsor their parents to live in the country under certain conditions. This process is known as Parent Visa sponsorship. It allows Australian citizens to reunite with their parents and share the beautiful Australian experience together. In this blog post, we will delve into the details of sponsoring parents as an Australian citizen.

Parent Visa Sponsorship Requirements

In order to sponsor your parents to live in Australia, you need to meet specific requirements set by the Australian government. These requirements include:

  • Being an Australian citizen or a permanent resident.
  • Being at least 18 years old.
  • Having lived in Australia for a significant period of time.
  • Being able to provide financial support for your parents.
  • Committing to taking care of your parents' health and welfare expenses.
  • Meeting health and character requirements.

It is important to understand that sponsoring your parents is a significant responsibility and should be approached with careful consideration of both your financial and personal circumstances.

The Parent Visa Application Process

Once you have assessed your eligibility and decided to proceed with sponsoring your parents, you need to go through the following steps:

  1. Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to notify the Australian government about your intention to sponsor your parents.
  2. Receive an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the Parent Visa.
  3. Submit the Parent Visa application, including all required supporting documents.
  4. Pay the application fee, which can vary depending on the type of Parent Visa being applied for.
  5. Wait for the application to be processed by the Department of Home Affairs.
  6. Once the visa is approved, your parents can travel to Australia and live with you as permanent residents.

It is important to note that Parent Visa applications can sometimes take a significant amount of time to be processed due to high demand. It is advisable to be prepared for a potentially long waiting period.


Q: Can I sponsor both my biological parents and my in-laws?

A: Yes, as an Australian citizen, you can sponsor both your biological parents as well as your in-laws to live in Australia under the Parent Visa program. However, it is essential to meet the sponsorship requirements and understand the financial responsibilities involved in supporting multiple individuals.

Remember, sponsoring your parents to live in Australia is a decision that should be made after careful consideration of your own circumstances. It is advisable to seek professional advice or consult with the Department of Home Affairs to ensure you meet all the necessary requirements and understand the implications of the sponsorship.

About me

Hello,My name is Aparna Patel,I’m a Travel Blogger and Photographer who travel the world full-time with my hubby.I like to share my travel experience.

Search Posts