If you’re looking for a retirement destination that has a lot to offer then The Villages in Florida could be your best bet. This sprawling retirement community is known for its impressive network of golf courses, its entertainment-filled town squares, shopping and dining, and its lively nightlife.
Beyond what’s seen on the surface, The Villages is also home to top-notch healthcare, activities to suit all ages, and a vibrant culture of friendly neighbors. It’s no wonder that The Villages, Florida is known for so much and widely respected as one of the best, most vibrant retirement communities in the United States.
The Villages, Florida is a unique and expansive master-planned retirement community located in Sumter County. It is known for several distinct features and offerings:
Overall, The Villages, Florida is known for its active retirement lifestyle, extensive golfing opportunities, abundant recreational amenities, lively entertainment scene, and the close-knit community of active and engaged residents.
1. The Villages is consistently ranked as one of the top retirement communities in the United States.
2. The Villages is the largest gated retirement community in the world with over 54,000 residents across 33 square miles.
3. The “town” of The Villages has its own government, which includes an elected mayor, a council of 200 residents, and local laws and regulations.
4. The Villages has a population larger than many cities, including Key West, FL, and Aspen, CO.
5. The Villages is home to more than 25 championship golf courses and a large swimming/water activity center.
6. The Villages is a popular venue for live performances of music, comedy, and theater.
7. The Villages boasts a population with more advanced degrees than the national average.
8. The Villages has over 150 miles of pathways and trails throughout the community, perfect for daily walks or bike rides.
9. The Villages has its own cable TV station and local newspaper.
10. The Villages has its own fire and EMS (emergency medical services) departments.
The Villages is a census-designated place (CDP) in Sumter County, Florida, United States. It shares its name with a surrounding area, which is included in the CDP. The area of The Villages CDP is 72.9 square miles (189.0 km²). The Villages is the most populous gated retirement community in the world. As of the 2010 United States Census, The Villages was the fastest growing micropolitan statistical area in the US, with a population of 93,420, up from 58,912 at the 2000 census.
The Villages was founded in the 1950s as a master-planned retirement community. The development was named for the many villages that comprise it. The first developer was Harold Schwartz, who sought to create a planned community inspired by the 1,000-year-old city of Bath, England. Today, The Villages consists of 45 villages across three counties in north-central Florida, which serve to host its various homes, commercial, and recreational areas.
The Villages has become a place of leisure, with golf, tennis, swimming, fishing, pickleball, softball, and other recreational activities, as well as more than two dozen restaurants and businesses inside of it. The Villages also hosts many events, such as that of the Annual British Open, Art Festival, and Farm Festival. The nearby Lake Sumter Landing Market Square offers specialty stores and restaurants, while the nearby Orange Blossom Hills Square offers performing arts centers, restaurants, and movie theaters.
The Villages is known for its rapid population growth. As of July 2019, The Villages population was 115,000, an increase from 93,420 in 2010 and 58,912 in 2000.