Welcome to Orlando, Florida, the sunshine state and a city known for its fun and family friendly attractions. Whether you are a fan of theme park fun, night time entertainment, or just a leisurely vacation in beautiful natural surroundings, Orlando has something for everyone.
From thrilling roller coasters and exotic animals, to unique shopping, dining, and accommodations, Orlando has it all. Learn all about what makes Orlando one of the country’s most popular destinations and find out what it is most famous for!
Orlando, Florida is known for several prominent features and attractions. Here are some of the key things Orlando is famous for:
These are just a few highlights of what Orlando, FL is known for. The city offers a wide array of entertainment, recreational activities, and attractions that make it a popular destination for families, thrill-seekers, and tourists of all ages.
1. Orlando is home to the world’s largest McDonald’s restaurant. Located on International Drive, the 20,000 square foot restaurant has a two-story play area, a game room, store, and an outdoor patio.
2. Even though Orlando is considered to be the theme park capital of the world, there are actually no amusement parks within the city limits.
3. Orlando’s real name is “Jernigan,” after an early settler.
4. The first motion picture filmed in Orlando was The Greatest Show on Earth in 1951.
5. Orlando is one of the fastest-growing cities in the US. In 2012, 9,447 people moved to the city, making it the 4th most popular city for new residents.
6. Orlando is home to the world’s largest collection of Tiffany glass. The Morse Museum houses the collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany art glass, the largest in the world.
7. Orlando is known as the “O-Town,” which stands for the original nickname of “Orlando Town” which was given to the city during the 1940s.
8. There are more than 100 lakes in the Orlando area, and some of them have been around for more than 10,000 years.
9. The magical world of Harry Potter can be found in Orlando at Universal Studios theme park.
10. Orlando is known for its world-changing visionaries – including Walt Disney, who opened his original theme park in the city in 1971. Today, Disney World is the most visited vacation resort in the world.
The city of Orlando, Florida, is one of the most visited cities in the United States with more than 74 million visitors each year. The region of Central Florida where it is located has been inhabited by indigenous people for over 12,000 years.
In 1838, the area was incorporated as Fort Gatlin and eventually became a hub for European settlers, who began to arrive shortly afterwards. During the 20th century, Orlando continued to grow and developed into the largest inland city in the state. Its vibrant economy and culture attracted many new residents throughout the years.
Today, Orlando is home to a variety of attractions, including Disney World, Universal Studios, SeaWorld and more. Major shopping centers and districts, such as the Mall at Millenia, offer a variety of shopping and dining experiences. The city also has a thriving nightlife and entertainment districts. The nearby city of Kissimmee is a great spot for family-friendly activities.
Orlando is also known for its unique culture and its diverse population. The city has been noted as one of the most LGBT-friendly cities in the country. Additionally, it’s home to a wide range of museums and art galleries. The city hosts a number of annual festivals and events, such as the Orlando International Fringe Theater Festival and the Orlando Film Festival.
16 Oct, 2023
5 Oct, 2023
12 Sep, 2023
8 Sep, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023