Southside, Alabama, is a city located in Etowah County. This city was first established in 1942, and it was initially named Southeastern Suburbs. The area was annexed by the City of Attalla in 1956. Southside is now a suburban community with a population of 10,310 according to 2019 US Census estimates.
Southside is situated in the Appalachian Mountains along the Coosa River. The city is home to the Southside Municipal Airport which is used for general aviation. There is also a golf course within the city limits.
The city has a thriving economy that is supported by a variety of industries including manufacturing, warehousing, retail, and health care. These industries have enabled the local economy to remain strong throughout the years.
Some of the popular attractions in the Southside area include the Pitman Theater, City Park, and the Etowah County Fairgrounds. The city also has a few historic sites including the United States Post Office building, which was built in 1940. The Southside Historical Society and Museum is dedicated to preserving the city’s history.
Southside is served by the Gadsden City School District. There are three elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school located in the area. The city also has two technical college campuses, which are Gadsden State Community College and Northeast Alabama Community College.
Southside has many recreational opportunities including golf courses, tennis courts, parks, and swimming pools. The city also offers many cultural opportunities including community theater performances, art galleries, and festivals.
1. Southside was created in the early 1900s by the Tennessee Coal, Iron, and Railroad Company, which wanted to establish a model industrial city.
2. Southside was originally named Lawrence, but was later changed to Southside because of its location on the southern side of the Coosa River.
3. Southside is home to one of the oldest Southern Baptist churches in the nation, the Southside Baptist Church.
4. Southside has a vibrant art, music, and theater community, offering a unique mix of live performances and exhibitions at the Southside Arts Council.
5. Southside is home to numerous outdoor facilities, including the Splash Adventure and the Alabama Splash Adventure Waterpark, as well a tranquil parks system located throughout the city.
6. Southside is home to numerous historic sites, such as the historic Collinsville Depot and the Talladega National Forest.
7. Southside is the birthplace of renowned musician and songwriter Eddie Rabbitt, most known for his popular songs “Drivin’ My Life Away” and “I Love a Rainy Night.”
8. Southside is also the birthplace of acoustic blues and roots music performer, Alvin Youngblood Hart, who continues to perform around the world today.
9. Southside has an annual city-wide festival, Mustang Days, celebrating the area’s local heritage with live music, food, rides, and other entertainment.
Southside, Alabama is a small town located near the city of Gadsden in Etowah County. The town is known for its rural charm, friendly people, and historic downtown area. It is also famous for being the birthplace of legendary country singer, Hank Williams.
Visiting Southside, AL is an incredible experience full of southern charm and hospitality. Here, you will find local shops, restaurants, and attractions all within a few blocks of each other. The downtown area is pedestrian friendly with plenty of places to explore. If you’re looking to explore nature, Walter F. George Lake and the surrounding areas provide plenty of opportunity for hiking, fishing, and more. Whether you’re looking for outdoor activities or dining options, Southside has something to offer for everyone.
16 Oct, 2023
5 Oct, 2023
12 Sep, 2023
8 Sep, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023