Paphos Castle in Cyprus is one of the most iconic defensive structures in the Mediterranean. Located in the charmful town of Paphos, the medieval castle is a testament to the storied history of this part of the world. From its captivating history to stunning architecture, there’s no shortage of interesting facts, useful information, and travel tips for those looking to explore the stunning Paphos Castle. In this blog post, we’ll take a deep dive into all things Kato Paphos Castle, and provide a comprehensive travel guide for first-time visitors.
1. Kato Paphos Castle is said to have been built in around 1000 AD.
2. Its exact origin is unknown but it is believed to be part of Byzantine defensive architecture.
3. The castle was largely destroyed during the Venetian occupation, but the surviving parts date back to the 16th Century.
4. The castle is remarkable for its complex structure – it contains an inner and an outer section, and both have different levels of fortification.
5. The outer section was built with thick stone walls and several towers, while the inner section was more lavish in style.
6. It is also the site of the first recording of the traditional Cyprus Paphos music in the mid-20th century by the ethnomusicologist George Theocharides.
7. The castle was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1980.
8. The castle has been used as a filming location for many movies including Game of Thrones and The Physician.
Kato Paphos Castle is a medieval fortification located in the coastal town of Paphos, Cyprus. It is a part of the larger Paphos Archaeological Park, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The castle is believed to have been originally built in the 7th century AD by the Byzantines, and was significantly renovated in the 12th century by the Venetians. The castle is situated on a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, and much of the original structure of the castle is still visible today.
The tower of Kato Paphos Castle has become iconic due to it being featured in the design of the Paphos Euro coins. Inside the castle visitors will find a 16th century chapel dedicated to Saint Irenaeus, and nearby is the Little Castle, which was used as an observatory in medieval times. Today, the castle is a popular tourist attraction and is visited by people interested in its history, as well as its picturesque views.
Q: What is the history of the Kato Paphos Castle?
A: The Kato Paphos Castle is a several-century old castle located in the town of Paphos on the island of Cyprus. It was built by the Byzantines soon after the 4th century AD. The castle was then successively occupied by the Franks, Venetians, Ottomans, and the British.
Q: What can you see at the Kato Paphos Castle?
A: The castle has several interesting features, including its well-preserved towers, courtyards, chapels, and fortifications. Inside the castle, visitors can also view archaeological findings such as pottery, coins, and objects of art.
Q: Is there an admission fee to the Kato Paphos Castle?
A: Yes, there is an admission fee to the Kato Paphos Castle. Visitors can purchase tickets at the entrance to the castle.
16 Oct, 2023
5 Oct, 2023
12 Sep, 2023
8 Sep, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023