Interesting Facts, History of Our Lady Of Immaculate Conception Church,Goa4th December 2019
Are you looking for lesser-known facts about Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church? Here is a collection of interesting and unknown facts about Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church which You’ve Never Heard Before.
Located in Goa’s capital Panaji, this grand church was originally built in the year 1541 as a chapel (prayer hall).
The church is famous for its two towers and tall bell tower and can be seen from a distance in Panaji.So today we are going to tell you information related to the Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church through this article, so you must read this article.
Interesting Facts about Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church
- Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church is a beautiful church located in Panaji, capital of Goa state of India.The church was originally built in 1541 but was completely rebuilt in 1619 because the church had a large amount of money available at that time.Since then, there is no limit to its grandeur. The inner part is simplistic as compared to the outer part.
- The main altar is dedicated to Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, with two underlying altars dedicated to Mary Christ and Our Lady of Rosary respectively. The main building also has a prayer hall dedicated to St. Francis Xavier.
- The church is painted in white, which looks beautiful and is appreciated by the tourists.
- To reach Our Lady Of Immaculate Conception Church you have to climb 78 stairs.
- It was reconstructed in the year 1619 to give it its present form. Its white façade exhibits styles of Portuguese-Baroque and Govan architecture.
- It has two towers and a long clock tower. It can also be seen from a distance so it is also called the ‘crown‘ of Panaji.
- It has an ancient bell, derived from the Augustinian ruins of the ‘Church of Our Lady of Grace’. It is considered to be the second-largest bell tower of its kind in Goa and the first place is the bell tower named ‘Golden Bell’ located in the ‘Se Cathedral‘.
Our Lady Of Immaculate Conception Church Festival
The festival of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church is celebrated with great fanfare on 8 December.
The church is decorated with beautiful colorful lights and the whole church is beautified with white and blue flowers. A beautiful feast is held on the occasion of celebration. Fireworks outside are also held on festive occasions.
- Although this church is a must-visit during the day, most pilgrims believe in seeing its beauty at night when this white building is adorned with light!Commercial activities also take place in the vicinity of the church, so tourists and pilgrims can also enjoy shopping.
- You can easily reach Our Lady of Immaculate Conception. Regular bus services are available from Panaji city and Vasco da Gama and Madgaon.For tourists and residents of Baga, Kalangut and Kendolim regions of North Goa, the best way to reach here is to travel by cab or they can travel by rickshaw or can also travel by rental motorcycles. If you are visiting the church in the afternoon, take a rental bike.
Outer Architecture Of Our Lady Of Immaculate Conception Church
The exterior structures of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church are built in Portuguese Baroque style of architecture. The church is painted in white color, which seems to be attracted from a distance.
A bell tower is located next to the church. The two towers of the church are very high and make their own distinct identity as a tall belfry and can be seen from a distance.The Our Lady of the Immaculate Concept Church is also known as the Crown of Panaji, the capital of Goa.
Inner Architecture Of Our Lady Of Immaculate Conception Church
The structures of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Church is colorful. The main altar of the church is dedicated to Mother Mary, which is beautifully decorated.
On either side of the main altar, one side is built of Jesus’ crucifix and the other side is the altar of the Our Lady. The statues of St. Peter and St. Paul are filled with marble. On festive occasions, wooden structural elements are made of roofs. Apart from this, they are decorated with blue and white flowers. There is also a chapel of St. Francis Xavier, which is located on the south side of the main altar in the Trisept.
Our Lady Of Immaculate Conception Church History
The church was built in 1541 as a chapel on the edge of a hill in the colonial Portuguese Baroque style. The Our Lady of the Immaculate Concept Church was replaced as a large church in Goa in the 1600s. This church has an ancient bell, which was obtained from the Agustin ruins of the famous Church of Our Lady of Grace (Noosa Senhora da Graça) in the Old Goa city.
- Interesting Facts, History & Architecture of Basilica of Bom Jesus,Goa
- Interesting and fun facts about Goa
- Interesting and fun facts about Mumbai
Our Lady Of Immaculate Conception Church Entry Fee
If you are going to visit the famous The Our Lady of the Immaculate Concept Church of Goa, then let us tell you that you do not have to pay any entry fees. This tourist place is free for you.
Timing For Lady Of Immaculate Conception Church
You can visit Goa’s beautiful The Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church any day of the week.
From 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM.
From 3:30 pm to 7:30 PM.
You can come anytime to visit The Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church, but the months from October to March are considered ideal times to visit. Which is good for the weather.
Places Near Our Lady Of Immaculate Conception Church
Tourists visiting The Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church can also visit some nearby tourist spots. Which will make your journey more attractive and memorable.
- Crown Casino
- Mahalakshmi Temple
- Big Daddy
- Deltin Zac
- St. Sebastian’s Chapel
If you know any new things about the Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church, then definitely tell through the comments so that other people can read,thanks.